One Individual Expected to Fill Vacancy in Washoe County District Court
The Nevada Commission on Judicial Selection sent the names of three attorneys for consideration by Governor Brian Sandoval to fill an open judicial seat in the Second Judicial District Court.
The individual will serve the remaining term in Dept. 8 made vacant by the appointment of Lidia S. Stiglich to the Nevada Supreme Court.
The nominees were selected following interviews by the Commission March 13 and 14 in Carson City. Governor Sandoval will appoint the new judge from those named on the list.
The Commission’s three nominees for the open position, in alphabetical order, are:
- Wesley M. Ayres, 56, Reno, Discovery Commissioner
- Barry L. Breslow, 54, Reno, Attorney
- James Eric Keller, 45, Reno, Attorney
A total of 13 attorneys submitted applications for the vacancy. Applicants were required to be attorneys with 10 years of legal experience, two of those in Nevada.
In selecting the finalists, the Commission considered the applicants’ interviews along with information in comprehensive applications about education, law practice, business involvement, community involvement, and professional and personal conduct. The Commission also considered letters of reference and public statements during the interview process.
Nevada Commission on Judicial Selection
The Commission is composed of seven permanent members – the Supreme Court Chief Justice, three non-attorneys appointed by the Governor, and three attorneys appointed by the State Bar of Nevada. Neither the Governor nor the State Bar may appoint more than two permanent members from the same political party, and cannot appoint two members from the same county.
For District Court vacancies, two temporary members are appointed from the judicial district where the vacancy occurs – a non-attorney by the Governor and an attorney by the State Bar – bringing the Commission membership to nine.
- Justice Michael A. Cherry, Carson City, Supreme Court Chief Justice, Chair (Constitutional appointee)
- Valerie Cooney, Carson City, past executive director, Volunteer Attorneys for Rural Nevadans (State Bar appointee)
- Jeffrey Gilbert, Henderson, veteran gaming executive (Governor appointee)
- Jesse Gutierrez, Sparks, former executive, director, Nevada Hispanic Services (Governor appointee)
- Gregory Kamer, Esq., Las Vegas, attorney, Kramer Zuker Abbott (State Bar appointee)
- Jasmine Mehta, Esq., Reno, Nevada State Board of Medical Examiners (State Bar appointee)
- Leslie Williams, Schurz, administrative assistant for Washoe County Senior Services (Governor appointee)
Temporary Commission Members:
- Gary Smith, Reno, director, Customer Energy Solutions, NV Energy (Governor appointee)
- Jacey Prupas, Reno, litigation partner, Snell & Wilmer (State Bar appointee)
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT:
State Court Administrator Robin Sweet
Administrative Office of the Courts