The Nevada Commission on Judicial Selection has recommended three attorneys to Governor Brian Sandoval for consideration to fill an open judicial seat in the Eighth Judicial District Court, Family Division.
The Commission selected the nominees following interviews Oct. 22 - 23 at the Nevada Supreme Court in Las Vegas. Governor Sandoval will select the judge who will serve in Dept. L, made vacant by the retirement of Judge Jennifer L. Elliott.
The Commission’s three nominees, in alphabetical order, are:
- Soonhee Bailey, 48, Las Vegas, Eighth Judicial District Family Court
- David S. Gibson, Jr, 44, Henderson, Eighth Judicial District Family Court
- Shann Dee Winesett, 51, Las Vegas, Pecos Law Group
A total of 11 attorneys submitted applications for the open judicial seats. Only attorneys with 10 years of legal experience, two of those in Nevada, were eligible to apply.
In selecting the finalists, the Commission conducted background investigations and considered the applicants’ answers during the interview. Each applicant provided comprehensive applications about education, law practice, business involvement, community involvement, and professional and personal conduct.
The Commission also considered letters of reference and public statements during the interview process, which was open to the public.
Nevada Commission on Judicial Selection
The Commission is composed of seven permanent members – the Supreme Court Chief Justice, three non-attorneys appointed by the Governor, and three attorneys appointed by the State Bar of Nevada. Neither the Governor nor the State Bar may appoint more than two permanent members from the same political party, and cannot appoint two members from the same county.
Commission members participating in this selection:
- Justice Michael L. Douglas, Carson City, Supreme Court Chief Justice, Chair (Constitutional appointee)
- Valerie Cooney, Carson City, past executive director, Volunteer Attorneys for Rural Nevadans (State Bar appointee)
- Jeffrey Gilbert, Henderson, veteran gaming executive (Governor appointee)
- Jasmine Mehta, Esq., Reno, Nevada State Board of Medical Examiners (State Bar appointee)
For District Court vacancies, two temporary members are appointed from the judicial district where the vacancy occurs – a non-attorney by the Governor and an attorney by the State Bar.
Temporary Commission Members:
Annalyn Carrillo, Las Vegas, Governor’s Office, State of Nevada (Governor appointee)
- Stacy Rocheleau, Las Vegas, attorney, RIGHT Lawyers (State Bar appointee)