The Nevada Commission on Judicial Selection has forwarded the application of Dixie Grossman to Governor Brian Sandoval for consideration to fill the judicial vacancy in the Second Judicial District Court, Dept. 2. The judicial position was made vacant by the appointment in November of Judge Egan Walker to the Second Judicial District Court, Dept. 7.
Ms. Grossman, 42, currently serves as a court master in the Second Judicial District Court – Family Division.
Ms. Grossman was the only applicant for the position. Nevada attorneys with 10 years of legal experience and 2 years of Nevada residency were eligible to apply. The Commission made the decision to forward her name to the Governor at its March 12 public meeting.
The Nevada Commission on Judicial Selection is composed of seven permanent members – the Supreme Court Chief Justice, three non-attorneys appointed by the Governor, and three attorneys appointed by the State Bar of Nevada. Neither the Governor nor the State Bar may appoint more than two permanent members from the same political party, and cannot appoint two members from the same county.Permanent Commission Members:
- Justice Michael L. Douglas, Carson City, Supreme Court Chief Justice, Chair (Constitutional appointee)
- Valerie Cooney, Carson City, past executive director, Volunteer Attorneys for Rural Nevadans (State Bar appointee)
- Jeffrey Gilbert, Henderson, veteran gaming executive (Governor appointee)
- Jesse Gutierrez, Sparks, former executive director, Nevada Hispanic Services (Governor appointee)
- Gregory Kamer, Esq., Las Vegas, attorney, Kramer Zuker Abbott (State Bar appointee)
- Jasmine Mehta, Esq., Reno, Nevada State Board of Medical Examiners (State Bar appointee)
- Leslie Williams, Schurz, Division Director Finance and Administration, Washoe County Social Services (Governor appointee)
For District Court vacancies, two temporary members are appointed from the judicial district where the vacancy occurs – a non-attorney by the Governor and an attorney by the State Bar – bringing the Commission membership to nine.Temporary Commission Members:
- Wendy Damonte, Reno, Vice President of Advocacy and Community Partnership, Renown Hospital (Governor appointee)
- Rost Olsen, Sparks, staff attorney, Volunteer Attorneys for Rural Nevadans (State Bar appointee)