Eleven attorneys have applied to the Nevada Commission on Judicial Selection to fill the open judicial seat in the Eighth Judicial District Family Court, Dept. L, created by the retirement of Judge Jennifer L. Elliott.
The applicants for the open seat are:
- Soonhee Bailey, 48, Las Vegas, Eighth Judicial District Family Court
- Rhonda Kay Forsberg, 55, Henderson, Rhonda K. Forsberg, Chartered
- R. Nathan Gibbs, 54, Las Vegas, R. Nathan Gibbs, LTD
- David S. Gibson, Jr, 44, Henderson, Eighth Judicial District Family Court
- Lynn N. Hughes, 49, Las Vegas, Roberts Stoffel Family Law Group
- Mary D. Perry, 55, Las Vegas, Law Office of Mary D. Perry, LLC
- Margaret E. Pickard, 53, Henderson, Eighth Judicial District Family Court
- Jeffrey S. Posin, 49, Henderson, Posin Law Group, PC
- Jason P. Stoffel, 41, Henderson, Roberts Stoffel Family Law Group
- Dawn R. Throne, 48, Henderson, Throne & Hauser LLP
- Shann Dee Winesett, 51, Las Vegas, Pecos Law Group
Nevada attorneys with 10 years of legal experience and two years of Nevada residency were eligible to apply. The Commission will now direct background investigations, accept public comment, and interview each of the applicants.
The Judicial Selection Commission's website contains the applications. Confidential information, such as medical records and personal identification information, has been redacted.
Interviews to fill the vacant position are scheduled for October 22 and October 23 at the Nevada Supreme Court building in Las Vegas and will be open to the public.
The Commission invites written public comments about the applicant qualifications. Commission rules allow reference letters to remain confidential if requested by the letter writer. However, the Commission may discuss the contents of the letter with the applicant during executive session. Anonymous letters may not be considered at the discretion of the Commissioners.
Submit letters of reference by 5 p.m. on October 12, 2018 to:
Ms. Robin Sweet
Secretary, Commission on Judicial Selection
Nevada Supreme Court
201 S. Carson St., Suite 250
Carson City, Nevada, 89701
Once the interviews are complete, the Commission will consider and recommend three finalists, whose names will be submitted to Governor Brian Sandoval for the appointment.
The Nevada Commission on Judicial Selection is composed of seven permanent members – the Supreme Court Chief Justice, three non-attorneys appointed by the Governor, and three attorneys appointed by the State Bar of Nevada. Neither the Governor nor the State Bar may appoint more than two permanent members from the same political party, and cannot appoint two members from the same county.
- Justice Michael L. Douglas, Carson City, Supreme Court Chief Justice, Chair (Constitutional appointee)
- Valerie Cooney, Carson City, past executive director, Volunteer Attorneys for Rural Nevadans (State Bar appointee)
- Jeffrey Gilbert, Henderson, veteran gaming executive (Governor appointee)
- Jesse Gutierrez, Sparks, former executive director, Nevada Hispanic Services (Governor appointee)
- Gregory Kamer, Esq., Las Vegas, attorney, Kramer Zuker Abbott (State Bar appointee)
- Jasmine Mehta, Esq., Reno, Nevada State Board of Medical Examiners (State Bar appointee)
- Leslie Williams, Schurz, administrative assistant for Washoe County Senior Services (Governor appointee)
For District Court vacancies, two temporary members are appointed from the judicial district where the vacancy occurs – a non-attorney by the Governor and an attorney by the State Bar – bringing the Commission membership to nine.
Temporary Commission Members:
- Dave Kallas, Henderson, owner, The Apothecarium (Governor appointee)
- Stacy Rocheleau, Las Vegas, attorney, RIGHT Lawyers (State Bar appointee)