The Supreme Court of Nevada Justices
Justice Michael L. Douglas, Chief Justice Michael A. Cherry, Justice Kristina Pickering
Justice Mark Gibbons, Justice Lidia S. Stiglich, Justice James W. Hardesty, Justice Ron D. Parraguirre
Nevada can count many illustrious men and women among its justices.
Justice William H. Beatty, whose father H.O. Beatty was a member of the
first Court elected, served as one of the first district court judges in
the state and went on to serve many years as the Chief Justice of the
California Supreme Court. Justice J. Neely Johnson had been governor of
California before coming to Nevada. Three justices have represented
Nevada in Congress: Patrick McCarran and William A. Massey as Senators,
and Cliff Young as a Congressman.
Thomas Hawley and Frank Norcross later became federal district court
judges, and President Eisenhower appointed Charles M. Merrill to the
Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals.
The first woman justice, Justice Miriam Shearing, was elected to the
court in 1992, after having served as a district court judge in Clark
The first Supreme Court had quarters in rented space on the second
floor of Abraham Curry's former Great Basin Hotel, which was shared with
other state offices and county government. The Carson City Courthouse
now occupies the site of the hotel, at the corner of Carson and Musser
Streets. In 1871, the Court moved into chambers in the newly completed
State Capitol building, where it continued to sit for the next sixty-six
On September 13, 1937, the Court moved with great pomp and ceremony
across Carson Street to its own Supreme Court and Library building. This
art deco style building, designed by Frederic J. DeLongchamps, was
constructed at a total cost of $160,000, which included furnishings.
After more than fifty years, a new building was designed to
accommodate the Court well into the next century. Located on the east
side of Carson Street, between the Capitol and Legislative Building, the
Court sits adjacent to a new State Library and Archives building, where
most of the Court's historic records are housed.